Growing up in Cincinnati, as a little girl, Loren couldn’t sleep at night unless she had her cassette player tucked in next to her. It was after moving with her family to LA at the age of 14 (to help her brother pursue his acting career) that Loren realized her ultimate passion was to create music.
Now at the age of 21, Loren North has finally used the culmination of years of her music-making, whether it be posting Youtube covers or singing in church, into her debut “Starlight” EP. Read our review of her latest project, and check out some words we got with the artist about her music and life in general.
1) Congrats on releasing your new EP! What’s the inspiration behind your EP? Or… if this is too vague, could you describe where the inspiration behind one song (or any/all of them!) came from on this EP?
THANK you so much! Such an exciting time! Wow, inspo. Just life, you know? Extreme experiences hit you hard sometimes, so a lot of this has to do with those times. Specifically the EP title track, ‘Starlight’, came from just the idea of being consumed in someone or something. I’m really excited for people to vibe and relate to the music.
2) What’s your favorite song you’ve put out so far and why?
I really can’t say, they all have their own thing going on.
3) How do you go about making songs? What’s something you wish listeners would know about you when listening to your songs?
The process varies, but usually sit down for a writing session with someone, just with a piano or guitar and just talk through life and write from those conversations. If I’m feeling the song, I take it to either be demo’d or straight into full production if I feel confident about it. I hope people see that I’m just a real person writing from a real place.
4) If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring singer/artist, what would it be and why?
Don’t force anything. Let things be. I thought I was going to be doing folk music in the beginning because it kind of seemed to be the right thing to do for me, and I ended up going down this whole other route and I’m so thankful I let the process be the process.
5) Which artists or people do you look up to?
So many. For years and years I’ve really looked up to Brooke Fraser as a writer/singer/musician, and just her lifestyle in general inspires me.
6) I love the music video you just put out for “Feel It Out”! It’s so gorgeously shot. Was wondering what it was like to shoot the MV and the inspiration behind it?
Ugh, once again, an unforced process. The director, Embryo, and I randomly met through a mutual friend. We sat down, I let him get to know me, and we rolled with something that felt super organic to who I am. We shot a period of three days and those three days were some of the most fun times. Shooting in nature is so rejuvenating. 🙂
7) Who is someone you’d really want to work with but haven’t yet?
Hmmm, The Chainsmokers? Hahaha, no but their music is super rad (which is why they’re slaying the charts). But on a real note, I would say I would love to work with Matt Corby or John Mayer.
8) What in your opinion, makes a good pop song and who do you think is really rocking it right now? (Besides yourself of course 😀 )
Melodies…. melodies melodies. And vibe. Gosh a lot of people in the pop world are killing it, but I would say Alessia Cara. She’s SO true to who she is, you can tell she isn’t swayed by the eps and flows of the industry. I really love the message she puts out.
9) If you could go back in time and change one thing either in your life or someone else’s life, what would it be?
I would go back and try Nutella sooner.
10) Lastly, what’s it like living in LA? Do you think this has influenced your creative process?
YES YES AND yes. It totally has. This city is full of creative-heads, and I just love it. It’s a blast living here. I also love NYC with my life, so it’s hard because I want to move there for a little bit at some point. But it’s such a different vibe here and I adore it in all it’s beauty. Besides the terrible traffic, it’s pretty chill and you have everything from the downtown vibe to the Santa Monica beach vibe just a small drive away. It would be hard moving away, esp because I love the people so much too.
How can we celebrate with Loren North the release of her “Starlight EP”? By listening to her FRIDAY FIX curated playlist!